Sunday 26 December 2021

Comparisons

 

I am devoted to people who are simple, caring and nurturing. I am devoted to those who value humanity and are humane beyond pettiness, comparisons and egocentricities.

Perhaps, because I come from the old world where we could not dream of insulting or disobeying our elders. From a world that mothers  and fathers would always lovingly counsel their adult children and the children basked in that kind of nurturing. It was selfless caring, plain and simple, with no agenda attached other than the well being of their children. I still smile affectionately from my phone when my mother tells me from the other end, what to do and how to behave. The inner child is happy and alive.

I come from a world where the parents were encouraging of education, but strict about wasting time and getting into frivolous activities … staying out of the home beyond certain hours was suspect.

Today, when there is a long period of lockdown, it is like old times . It feels normal. The amount of creative arts that we were taught through teachers coming home , today stands us in good stead , for there is just so much to do that there is no time to bemoan thelack of  “party” times .. hours wasted over long brunches and dinners day after day !

Of course, we too had friends. But the home was where our heart was and friends were precious too, but only available to meet when there was free time from our activities.

Today, when I compare notes with my friends, they are on the same page ! Happy to curl up with a book or create new products but not at all clamouring to go out at the slightest excuse.

We saw that world and now , our children are seeing only this world. We have seen both and are so much richer for the experience of two worlds in one lifetime.

Surekha Kothari

www.BodyMindSoulCentre.com

surekhakothari.wordpress.com

Speakingtree Blog: www.speakingtree.in/public/surekhakothari

No comments:

Post a Comment